Thursday 1 October 2015

Size, Facilities, Buildings and Students: an overview of the Zaragoza 'Ciudad Universitaria'

Ed eccoci qua!

Oggi é ufficialmente finita la seconda settimana di Uni qui a Zaragoza.

Ok, sarebbe la prima vera settimana, dato che in quella passata abbiamo fato solo 3 giorni effettivi di lezione :).

Bah, dettagli.

Comunque, pensavo di scrivere un post che contenesse quelle che sono un po' le mie prime impressioni sull'Universitá, gli studenti, ecc... La realtá Universitaria in generale insomma :).

Dunque, la prima cosa facilmente notabile é la grandezza del campus. 

Ovviamente non c'é paragone con la povera Treviso. Basti pensare che questa é una cittá 7-8 volte piú grande, quindi va da sé che anche le varie strutture saranno piú grandi.

Ecco, finalmente ho avuto l'occasione di entrare in un vero campus universitario, o ' Ciudad Universitaria ', come la chiamano qui.

Il colonnato all'entrata é carino, fa molto "luogo importante". I parcheggi e le strade interne al campus, poi, sono a dir poco enormi. Ogni mattina ci si trova gente che fa jogging :).

All'interno di questa Ciudad ci sono moltissimo edifici, le sedi delle varie facoltá (altra big difference rispetto a Treviso), giardini e alberi.

L'Edificio Interfacultades, il mio, é il primo dopo l'entrata ed é un blocco di 6 piani (nota a parte: farsi 8 rampe di scale a piedi dopo mezzora di camminata oer arrivare al campus é da veri try harder).

Comunque, settimana scorsa, il giorno del giro turistico per la cittá, ci hanno fatto visitare anche le varie facilities offerte, tra cui una biblioteca enorme che avró tempo di girare (e usare!) e un complesso con palestra, piscina e cose del genere.

*Episodio bonus: all'uscita della biblio é scattato l'allarme nel momento in cui stavo passando io, peró nessuno mi ha detto niente e me la sono data a gambe! :).

Parliamo un po' delle altre cose: le lezioni e gli studenti.

Le Lezioni: tanti lati positivi, peró, come sempre, ci sono anche dei contro (orario, argomenti a tratti noiosi o esposti alla classe in maniera noiosa,...). 

Ora, so bene che dopo soli 10 giorni non posso dare un giudizio adeguato, comunque questi sono aspetti che tolgono un po' di 'Appeal' alle lezioni.

Ci sono 4 macro corsi nell'arco della mattinata: Grammatica, Cultura e Conversazione (il mio preferito), Spagnolo Commerciale e Turistico (il piú noioso) e un'ora di studio delle espressioni idiomatiche.

Al di lá dei contenuti, quello che mi piace meno e che in qualche modo mi ha deluso di questi corsi é il metodo d'insegnamento. Pacchi di fotocopie (gli alberi ringraziano) ed esercizi tediosi.

Da qui é facile capire come la parte di Cultura e Conversazione sia la mia preferita: si parla di temi interessanti e si interagisce costantemente in Spagnolo.

Giovedí (giorno delle quasi 8 ore di lezione con uscita dall'Uni alle 20.30), poi, abbiamo cominciato il corso di traduzione.

L'insegnate sembra molto competente e, cosa fondamentale, sembra in grado di coinvolgere in maniera attiva tutti gli studenti, oltre che di trasmettere la passione per la traduzione.

Gli Studenti: saró molto breve, non c'é molto da dire. Solo il fatto curioso che finora abbiamo visto piú studenti cinesi (saranno in erasmus pure loro) che spagnoli. Il che é paradossale, visto che co troviamo in un universitá spagnola. 

A mio avviso é un peccato che non ci sia data la possibilitá di interagire di piú con gli studenti del posto, magari attraverso un qualche corso in comune... Sarebbe stato interessante.

Un capitolo a parte lo dedico a qualcosa che sono sicuro mi mancherá in maniera particolare quando saró tornato a casa: la camminata mattutina.

No, non sono pazzo. Da ormai un anno a questa parte (inizialmente per problemi tecnici al mio mezzo abituale, la bici) vado in universitá a piedi. Sia a casa che qua, si tratta di circa mezzoretta di camminata. 

Tuttavia, rispetto a Treviso, qua é infinitamente piú piacevole camminare la mattina presto. Per il clima, asciutto e, per ora, non troppo freddo. Per il "background", perché, non me ne voglia nessuno, ma la Gran Vía e il Paseo Indipendencia sono di un altro livello. 

Per concludere, ormai mi sono abituato alla vita qui a Zaragoza. Soprattutto non é stato per nulla difficile adattarsi alla cosa del vivere da solo per la prima volta.

Ah, sí. Il mio giudizio sull'esperienza e sull'universitá rimane comunque molto positivo. Diciamo solo che un paio di cose avrebbero potuto essere organizzate meglio.

Ora, penso che torneró a scrivere settimana prossima, dato andremo in escursione in due pueblos medievali. Poi ci sará la settimana de las Fiestas del Pilar e qualche altra cosa verso fine mese.

Vediamo come andrá :):). Alla prossima!

Ps per le foto date un occhio ai miei profili Facebook ed Instagram :).


---------

Today I've officially finished the second week of Uni here in Zaragoza (dunno how come I'm still alive though).

Ok, to say the truth, this'd be the first serious week, seen that the previous one we had only 3 real days of classes ;).

Bah, who cares.

Anyway, I was thinking about writing a post with my first opinions about this new reality: University, its students, etc... What it means studying here :)

So, the very first and easiest topic to soeak about is the size of the campus.

Of course it's an easy victory if we compare it to the one in Treviso. Come on, Zaragoza is 7-8 times the size of my poor city, there's no match (at least, if we're talking of facilities).

This means I finally had the chance to stay in a real University Campus, or 'Ciudad Universitaria', as it's called here.

The entrance is truly impressive. I really love walking just past it every morning, even if I'm not accustomed having such a structure as the entrance of my Uni.

Also, the parking areas are enormous. It seems like the whole campus is part of a big park, with many trees and green (just as I love ;) ). And a lot of people wandering around or doing some jogging. 

I really like this extraordinary amount of vitality and dynamism :) :).

Inside this Ciudad (City) there are loads of buildings, which are the locations of the many departments. 

(Note: just 400 m away from Uni there's the medicine department building. Ok, THAT IS THE BEST. Immense. Unique.)

The 'Interdepartment' Building (Edificio Interfacultades), my one, is the very first just after the entrance. It's a 6-floors block (if you want to get in good shape, there's nothing better than 8 flights of stairs. Really, 30 mins walking + this climbing= goodbye to any form of fat!).

Anyway, last week, on the day of the tourist trip, we got to see also the several facilities offered by the campus. There's a big library (I'm definitely going to spend so much time there, both to study and just to enjoy being in that lovely historical building), another building with a gym, a pool and other stuff.

* Bonus Tale: while I was stepping through the library door, the alarm went off. I froze for an instant: ok, there wasn't any police running towards me, but, just to avoid any risk, I dashed out of the building. I didn't want to be arrested on my first week here ;).

Let's talk about two other key topics of this University: my classes and the students.

The Classes: many good aspects to highlight, but, as always, there is also a negative side, like schedule and some topics or subjects which are being incredibly boring (or which are presented in a boring way).

Now, I'm well aware I can't judge properly after only 10 days, but still, a part of our schedule seem to be a bit less appealing now.

There are 4 macro classes in the morning: Grammar, Culture and Conversation (my very favourite), Business Spanish andd Spanish for Tourism (most boring one) and one hour in which we analyze tons of idiomatic expressions (difficult but still engaging).

Beyond theses subjects, what I like the least and what somehow disappointed me is the method, the way they teach us. Loads of photocopies (huge thanks by all the trees in the world) and dreary tasks to perform. Nothing more.

Now you can see why I fell in love with the Culture and Conversation things: we are challenged to answer a question and to debate between each other to defend our point of view. 

Shortly, we talk about interesting themes and we interact in Spanish. You can see why I consider it interesting.

Thursday (day in which we had to survive through an 8-hours schedule till 8.30 pm) we began the Translation class.

The teacher seems lovely ad, most important, she can engage all the class, getting it into the subject. It's easy to notice her passion for Translating.

Hopefully, I'll add also this one to my favourite classes :).

The Students: I'll be short, there's not much to tell and I'm going to explain why. 

I find the fact so far we've been seeing more Chinese students than Spanish ones extremely curious an a bit amusing. Geez, we're living in a Spanish city and studying in a Spanish univesity, so I had expected more chances to interact with my Spanish peers.

It's really a pity we're not given the chance to share some common class or something similar... It'd have been really interesting and useful.

Now allow me to spend a couple of lines talking about something I'm sure I'll be missing a lot once I'll be back at home: my morning walk.

No, I'm not mad. I've been walking to university for a year by now (to be honest, at the beginning it was due to some technical problems of my poor bike). Both in Treviso and here, I walk for about half an hour.

However, the two trips can't be compared. They absolutely can't. I enjoy walking here a lot more. Why? Well, I'd say because of the weather and of the background. Come on, 'Gran Vía' and 'Paseo Indipendencia' are on a ompletely different level. I could go on walking through them forever.

To sum up, by now I've become accustomed to Zaragoza and to its lifestyle. Not to mention the living alone thing. I was really happy and proud of myself when I realized I could 'survive' even if I was so far from home for the first (AND NOT LAST) time.

Oh, yes: besides that couple of things I'm disappointed of, my opinion remains still positive, I'd say an 8.5/10 :). They could have been planned in a better way, but no matter :):).

Now, I think I'll be writing again around next week, especially considering Tuesday's trip to two famous Medieval Villages here in Aragon. 

Then I'm definitely going to write about 'Las Fiestas del Pilar', which is the most famous local celebration.

I think I'm going to be online also around the end of the month, because there are a couple of birthdays to celebrate ;).

And mother is coming for a visit :):)!!

Ps: for some photos go to my facebook or instagram. I'm storing everything there for now :):).





No comments:

Post a Comment